Road trips with kids… they are certainly the most affordable and “easy” way to travel these days, but stressful none the less. We travel pretty frequently with our kiddos, and drive 12/14 hours to the beach 1-2 times a year, minimum. Over the past 4.5 years I have sort of pared down, and ‘perfected’ the items I take with us as staples for toddler travel must haves, then add to it as I go.
**We have TV’s in the head rests of my cars, so I am not ashamed to say that Ipads and movies are also a big help during travel for us. As with anything else as long as it isn’t a habit its not something i worry about — I don’t think their brains will turn to mush from a day or two of that on occasion.
Below are some of my “must pack items” for vacations with kids. I will link all items below.
- Kids CamelBak Eddy water bottle: These are my favorite water bottles and when we travel I make sure to bring two along for each kiddo.
- Keenz Stroller Wagon: This is fairly new and we are only on trip #2 with it, but its AMAZING. I hate pulling wagons, but there is no denying that they are the most functional option to use on beach trips – This wagon fixes that issue! There are too many amazing features to list about this item – so check out the site!
- The Shrunks Toddler Blow up Bed: total space saver, and you just have to throw a crib sheet over the “mattress” portion.
- Replay Recycled Snack Stacks: These are by far my favorite travel food item for the kids at their current ages. I have 4 sets and always pack 3/4 stacked with different opened snacks in their backpack. Cuts down on trash for about 10 min too.. ha.
- Pottery Barn Kids Backpacks: By far my favorite backpacks for the kids, and I pack each of them up a backpack for the car with snacks, waters, toys and books.
- Target Utility Totes: Not sure if these are sold during non summer seasons, but they are about $5 and AMAZING. They are similar to the Thirty One bags that people love. I typically load one with beach/pool toys, and one with indoor toys and such. (similar on Amazon here!)
- Little Unicorn quilts: I have said it before. Best toddler blankets. But I love that they aren’t too warm so they can use them in the warmer weather and the car without over heating.
- GoPod: I obviously didn’t take that on this trip, however if you have a baby its the best investment ever. Works like a travel jumper. We even use it outside at home.
- Crayola Dry Erase Board Set: these are great for keeping them coloring and drawing without going through tons of paper, and a built in hard surface cuts down on tears.
- Multi-use lap tray: These are amazing over the kids laps in the car. Makes eating in the car, coloring or even playing much better. They have deep sides to hold odds and ends too. The kids love them. (I used to own a sort of soft travel snack tray for use with car seats and I can vouch for this being a much better option!)
I would LOVE to hear what your favorite baby or toddler travel items are! We will be journeying out again not long after the baby arrives, and its been 2.5 years since I have hauled a baby along on one of these trips.
HOMEiADecember 15, 2020 at 9:40 pm
This is going to be so helpful for our trip, thank you!